I’m going to be honest, there is no better time of year than Christmas. As a regular Joe guy, I love everything about Christmas…the lights, the music, the movies, all the decorations and yummy goodies that tend to be made! But, as a Social Media and Communications guy I love it even more. Why? Because there is so much content you can be sharing that comes very naturally.
So, if you are having trouble figuring out what to post this Christmas season, hopefully this will get you started:
- Christmas Services Invites. Create a cool image and share it along via blog post or simply share the image on your social media accounts for people to download and/or share on their accounts. Here is a blog post I did last year to encourage people to invite their friends to Christmas eve.
- Funny videos. One of the core values we have at New Life is to have fun because we believe fun breaks down barriers to help people discover God. So come up with some funny videos about Christmas that people will laugh at and maybe be interested in coming to Church about because of that. Here are 2 examples of funny videos you could copy or create a new ideas from (Christmas Sing-Along and Santa Workout).
- Staff “Favorites” list. This could be anything from your favorite Christmas memory, present, recipe, movie, song, TV special or anything else Christmas related. It provides people in your church another opportunity to get to know the staff in a personal, real way.
- Scripture images leading up to Christmas. Encourage people whether it is through Advent readings or other references in the Bible about the birth of Christ.
- How people can serve over the holidays. The holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Years is a very festive time of year. Just as great and joyous it is to so many, there are many who deal with sadness and loneliness as well. Post a variety of ways that people in your church can serve the community.
- Throwbacks to old Christmas videos or images you’ve shared in the past. People LOVE to remember old times…especially when they are funny! Here is a funny throwback video that we did years ago that we posted again this year.
As with all content you share don’t just use one form. Change it up regularly by posting images, videos, or blog posts. The more visual you can be with your posts, the more likely you’ll get noticed and have people engage in it. AND, as you get people engaged and noticing what you are posting, hopefully more people will come to Christmas Eve services and discover God for the first time. Which is what we are all trying do with our social media posts.
So what are you going to do? What posts can you be making this week? The great news you still have plenty of time to engage your audience. It’s the most wonderful time of the year so use it to your advantage.
What do you think? What content are you sharing this Christmas? Share your stories below so we can all learn from each other and be inspired to be better leaders. Or you can share on social media using #ymsidekick.