Church communication is not a new job. It has actually been around a very long time. However, with the development of social media and other digital tools used to help churches communicate more effectively in this digital world, more and more churches are looking for Church Communicators who understand digital technology and know how to use it effectively.
However, many Church Communicators are self-taught as many did not go to school in digital communications. So how do you become a Church Communicator? What must you do? That is why Janette Yates is on the podcast today. She is self-taught Communications Director and has some valuable insights on what you can do become more equipped to help your church reach more people.
In this episode Tom and Janette talk about…
- Janette’s background and how she got involved in Church Communicaiton
- What an average Sunday looks like for her
- How she takes a sermon and posts content throughout the week
- What were some of the things she did to train herself (it involves some great podcasts like Church Marketing Sucks and Pro Church Tools – can’t go wrong with either one of those!)
- Groups you can belong to help you get insights and learn from others (Church Communicators, Church Social Media Managers and That Church Summit) and a great amount of FREE training that these groups offer.
As Janette mentions, what is works for her doesn’t always work well for others. So start slow and make sure you are doing it right before you get into other areas of learning.
It was great talking to Janette and she would love to talk to you about any kind of church communication question. You can connect with her on Twitter.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Join the Digital Bootcamp Facebook Group so you can become more effective using digital tools for your ministry! This is for ALL Ministers, not just Church Communicators or Social Media Managers.
Have an idea for a future topic or someone for Tom to interview? Email him some ideas on future episodes here.
Listen and make sure you goto iTunes and subscribe to the podcast and see what cool things we do each and every week!
Join the conversation! How are you recruiting, training and developing volunteer leaders to give them the vision of being disciplemakers? What do you do? Share below or on social media using the hashtag #ymsidekick.